‘Trains, Planes and Automobiles’
It has been a lovely last half term and we have enjoyed our topic ‘Trains, Planes and Automobiles’.
We have been finding out about lots of different transportation and how it moves. This has helped us explore different forces in Science. We experimented moving the vehicles on different textures and at different heights to see if this made a difference.
We have also used different transportation to develop our counting, pattern and shape skills. We carried this on into Art where we made our own collages using different textured materials for the background then added different vehicles to our pictures. We have also been playing a number of different board games, our favourite being ‘Snakes and Ladders’.
We read stories and learned songs about traveling and transportation. We then used our mark making skills to draw such items as wheels and train tracks.
In Music, we have been using the ‘Can Do’ Music cd and chose different instruments to play along to the songs. We have enjoyed dancing and listening to a range of music and exploring the instruments provided.
In R.E. we have been looking at the story of ‘Noah’s Ark’. We have been playing with and exploring the different objects from the story. We made rain shakers and used them to act out the rain whilst listening to the story. We then made a piece of artwork which included our own ark and animals. We have also used this story to learn about different types of weather.
We have been playing a number of ball games in P.E. Many of us can now pass the ball to a friend in different ways. Our Sport’s Week brought a lot of laughter and enjoyment to the Blue Jays summer term. We participated in such activities as wake up shake up, Yoga, tug of war, obstacle courses and different races.
In Computing we have enjoyed exploring and finding out how to move remote-control cars. We learnt how to move them in different directions and how to turn them on and off. We also used helicopters that we could fly by pressing buttons. Some of us used touch screens to control different games and objects.
We all enjoyed our Cooking sessions and this term we have been focusing on foods that come from Italy. We have learnt to cook bread, pasta bakes and pizza dough. They were all very yummy!
We are looking forward to the holidays and the staff team in Blue Jays wish the children every success in their new classes next year.
How You Can Help at Home
‘Trains, Planes and Automobiles’
The following activities are suggested as appropriate homework activities which you can enjoy with your child and reinforce the learning we are focussing on this half term –
- Play a number of board games with your child mainly ones that involve dice.
- Encourage your child to look at different transportation, counting the wheels, doors etc. You could also discuss colours and how it travels land/sea
- Share pictures of old and new transportation with your child discussing the difference between them
- Read or share picture books with your child whenever you have chance. Where possible, encourage them to look at and talk about the pictures and to turn the pages for you
- Look for different letters and numbers in the environment (e.g. on a visit to the shops)
- Listen to different styles of music and encourage your child to dance or relax as the music is played
- Continue to repeat the initial letter sounds of things they use, like, people’s names etc. and draw the letters so they can recognise/match them
- Let us know how you get on through the home school book
- Please send your child in with their Library book every Monday so we can swap it for a new one
Sign of the Week
At Kingfisher we use Signalong as a part of a Total Communication Approach, we are constantly using core vocabulary with the children to support their language development and then through each of our topics we introduce new signs and language, which extends their vocabulary further. We also have two “Signs of the Week” which helps maintain and extend key knowledge and skills of everyday vocabulary.
Each half term we will be creating a short video showcasing and demonstrating our ‘Signs of the Week’ for the current term so that you can learn the signs and further this learning at home.
To view this signs of the week for this topic please watch the video below
If your child has a school dinner, the school menus can be accessed by clicking here. For children who bring a packed lunch, please remember to provide healthy and balanced options. We are a Healthy School and will be focusing on healthy eating and how children can make healthy lifestyle choices.