Visual Impairment Team
The Team for Visual Impairment visits Kingfisher School on a regular basis to support pupils who have a visual impairment and the staff who work with them.
The services we offer in school include:
- Functional Vision Assessments
- Provision of written reports with clear strategies and recommendations
- Advice about the best learning conditions for children with a visual impairment – a suitable learning environment to support independence, suitable ways of working and resources for children with a visual impairment.
- Advice and support in the use of technology, specialist equipment and low vision aids to ensure curriculum access
- Training and advice for staff working with children and young people with a visual impairment
- Individual teaching sessions to include pre-braille, mobility input and elements of the expanded core curriculum
- Advice and support on the wider implications of visual impairment, for example social interaction, to ensure inclusion
- Liaison with families, school and medical professionals
- Provision of information about outside agencies that can offer support to children and families
- Support with transition