Welcome to the Blue Jays Class!
Teacher: Sarah Cornick
TAs: Fateha Begum, Gemma Slicker and Andy Scholes
Mid Day Leader: Hannah Wynn
Ticket to Ride
We have enjoyed our topic ‘Ticket to Ride’ and enjoyed sports week in the last half term of the school year. It has flown by this year and we have all been super, independent learners.
We have read the story ‘We all go Travelling By’. The children are amazing when it comes to looking at the books themselves and re-telling the stories using the props. We have especially loved playing with planes, cars and trains this half term.
We have enjoyed using different vehicles to make marks and creating some beautiful art work.
We loved sports week with so many different activities. It was great to have the chance to join other classes to do activities together. We played boccia and dodge ball. I think our favourite activity was human skittles, we loved knocking down the skittles as we flew towards them.
We have had lots of opportunities to try new things this half term, including languages day were we visited Spain. We explored the colours of the Spanish flag and had the chance to dress up and explore props from Spain in the Studio space.
The Blue Jays have made good choices when it comes to choosing ingredients for sandwiches and have made their own using super spreading and cutting skills.
I hope you all have a lovely Summer break, thank you so much for your support over the year and I look forward to seeing everyone back in September.
At Kingfisher we use Signalong as a part of a Total Communication Approach, we are constantly using core vocabulary with the children to support their language development and then through each of our topics we introduce new signs and language, which extends their vocabulary further. We also have two “Signs of the Week” which helps maintain and extend key knowledge and skills of everyday vocabulary.
Each half term we will be creating a short video showcasing and demonstrating signs relavent for the current term so that you can learn the signs and further this learning at home.
Click play to watch this half terms Signalong video!
If your child has a school dinner, the school menus can be accessed by clicking here. For children who bring a packed lunch, please remember to provide healthy and balanced options. We are a Healthy School and will be focusing on healthy eating and how children can make healthy lifestyle choices.
How You Can Help at Home
Please access any of the activities suggested here or on the Medium Term plan. If you need any more support or ideas, please send me a message via Seesaw –
- Sing songs and rhymes, does your child have a favourite? Let us know!
- Copy what I do – sounds, facial expressions, body language. This will support my communication!
- Encourage your child to tell you about their day in school.
- Play alongside your child, imitate their actions and show them how to explore their toys in a different way, are they able to share something with you? Practise taking turns together.
- Encourage and allow them to try new things independently.
- Encourage your child to find things that are the same e.g. socks.
- Look for items that are the same colour e.g. find all the red things etc.
- Draw arrows with chalk for your child to follow.
- Take your child on a sensory trail – What is the weather like? What can they feel? What can they hear?
- We love to know about the learning that goes on at home! Let us know how you get on via Seesaw.
- Most importantly have fun and enjoy learning!
Blue Jays will be swimming on a Monday afternoon, please can you make sure that your child has got their swimming kit in on that day. Year 6 children, also need their swimming kit on a Wednesday.