Welcome to the Peacocks Class!
Teacher: Hazel Stone
TAs: Nicola Cooke and Aqsa Arif
Mid Day Leader: Ellie O’Brien
Ticket to Ride
The Peacocks have had a very busy end to the school year & have taken lots of their learning outdoors in the shaded area by the trees. During our Being in Nature lessons pupils have enjoyed exploring sensory toys, making choices & requests during picnic time & they all loved the parachute & kite!
This half term, The Peacocks took part in Languages Day & enjoyed listening to a Spanish guitarist. He played tunes for pupils & they were encouraged to listen carefully & to join in with simple dance moves such as clapping & foot tapping. They sat brilliantly & followed instructions well.
The Peacocks also played lots of different sports during Sports Week during which pupils practised their waiting & turn-taking skills. Their favourite part of the week seemed to be Human Skittles, where each pupil got the chance to be pulled across the hall on a balance board to help them knock down the skittles!
As the term draws to a close, I would like to thank you all for your continued support in helping the Peacocks staff team on their learning journey at Kingfisher. We have had a lovely year with them and are so proud of their amazing achievements. We wish them a fun, happy summer holiday and look forward to seeing them in September. For those pupils moving to new class, I wish them farewell and look forward to seeing them in various shared areas of school next year & hearing about their continued progress.
At Kingfisher we use Signalong as a part of a Total Communication Approach, we are constantly using core vocabulary with the children to support their language development and then through each of our topics we introduce new signs and language, which extends their vocabulary further. We also have two “Signs of the Week” which helps maintain and extend key knowledge and skills of everyday vocabulary.
Each half term we will be creating a short video showcasing and demonstrating signs relavent for the current term so that you can learn the signs and further this learning at home.
Click play to watch this half terms Signalong video!
If your child has a school dinner, the school menus can be accessed by clicking here. For children who bring a packed lunch, please remember to provide healthy and balanced options. We are a Healthy School and will be focusing on healthy eating and how children can make healthy lifestyle choices.
How You Can Help at Home
- To help your child settle into their new class, it would be much appreciated if you could help them by doing the following:
- Maintaining communication with class via SeeSaw to help answer any questions we might have.
- Labelling your child’s clothing & belongings (including lunch bags & drink bottles)
- Checking & using the school’s current Signalong signs that are sent out via SeeSaw & are available on the school website. We use these during the whole half term’s topic area, as part of a Total Communication approach to learning (regardless of whether children use or copy the signs themselves).
- Allowing time for your child to settle into their new routine. Their new classroom, staff & peers are going to take a while to get used to!
- We also love to hear what pupils have been up to at home, so please feel free to send photographs with captions via SeeSaw & it can help us to learn more about their interests.
- Thank you,
- The Peacocks’ Staff Team:
- Hazel Stone (Class Teacher)
- Nikki Cooke (Level 3 Teaching Assistant)
- Aqsa Arif (Level 1 Teaching Assistant)