Welcome to the Pelicans Class!
Teacher: Nic Smith and Terri Unsworth
TAs: Joanne Tierney, Ann Stuart, Steph Grundy and Ayesha Sarwar
Mid Day Leader: Deborah Sellars
Earth, Wind and Fire
The Pelicans have enjoyed the topic of Earth, Wind and Fire.
In our sensory stories this half term we have explored the tale of The Wind Blew and The Colourful Balloon. In The Wind Blew we used the fan to create the wind and explored objects that blow in the wind. In The Colourful Balloon we went on a journey with the balloon across water, rainforests and sand in search of the rainbow. We loved the rainbow confetti explosion at the end of the story! We are all getting so good at attending to stories and joining in with exploration of the sensory props.
In Learning through Technology we have used switches to operate toys such as cars, a snake and musical toys. We had fun watching the move around all over the classroom.
We went to France for our Languages Day and enjoyed exploring lots of Red objects for Comic Relief. We painted some beautiful pictures that will go on display around school.
We have continued to enjoy our Boccia with Jordan this half term and are hoping to have some games against other classes soon!
We finished the half term with Easter activities. Have a lovely Easter break everyone.
At Kingfisher we use Signalong as a part of a Total Communication Approach, we are constantly using core vocabulary with the children to support their language development and then through each of our topics we introduce new signs and language, which extends their vocabulary further. We also have two “Signs of the Week” which helps maintain and extend key knowledge and skills of everyday vocabulary.
Each half term we will be creating a short video showcasing and demonstrating signs relavent for the current term so that you can learn the signs and further this learning at home.
Click play to watch this half terms Signalong video!
If your child has a school dinner, the school menus can be accessed by clicking here. For children who bring a packed lunch, please remember to provide healthy and balanced options. We are a Healthy School and will be focusing on healthy eating and how children can make healthy lifestyle choices.
How You Can Help at Home
The following activities are suggested as appropriate homework activities which you can enjoy with your child and reinforce the learning we are focussing on this half term.
- Allow your child to make choices where suitable and encourage them to use their voice or signs as much as possible to make their preferred choice.
- Play two way games and sing action rhymes, such as ‘Row the Boat’ or ‘Wind the Bobbin’ supporting your child to join in and participate, leave space to see if your child anticipates what comes next
- Share songs and rhymes – such as Barefoot books on YouTube/ HelpKidsLearn/ SuperSimple Songs
- Share stories – touchy feely books or stories that you can add silly noises and sound effects
- Carry out simple physio exercises such as stretches; watch children’s yoga videos on YouTube and try some simple postures and stretches
- Explore and investigate with messy materials – mud, sand and water play, etc. Encourage them to explore with their hands and hide objects for them. Talk about how it feels, smells and sounds, etc.
- Play anticipation games such as ‘ready, steady, go…’ use bubbles and balloons
- Go outside in all weather!
- Food play – explore dry and wet pasta, rice, lentils, etc; smell herbs and spices. Water play! Filling and pouring from containers! Add ice cubes – talk about the cold
- Support your child to become as independent as possible – washing and drying hands, etc.
- Thank you for your continued support in helping your child to learn and make progress.