Welcome to the Robins Class!
Teacher: Amina Munsaf
TAs: Anne Tomlinson, Katie Campbell and Khloe Fox
Mid Day Leader: Carol Gordon
On The Move
The Robins have loved lots of exciting learning opportunities throughout this half terms topic of ‘On the Move’
In our communication session we enjoyed listening to the story ‘The Autumn Forest’ whilst exploring all the different elements of the story including the rough bark, soft feathers, and crunchy leaves. Our favorite part was the water spray to feel the ‘cold and misty air, damp upon your face’.
We have been building our confidence in using technology whilst using various different switch toys, the plasma screen and the iPad. We learnt about cause and effect and how we can repeatedly make something happen by our actions. We loved taking turns on the EyeGaze and used our eyes to control the screen during lots of fun games.
In sensory food we used all our senses to explore different foods including smelling, touching, tasting and looking. We enjoyed exploring different fruits, angel delights and different colored oats. Most of all, we loved tasting, smelling and exploring custard.
We developed our communication skills whilst joining in with different activities such as ‘What’s in the box’, ‘I’ve got something in my bucket’ and ‘sensory songs’. We especially enjoyed the parachute activity with lots of excellent looking, listening and asking for more.
We thoroughly enjoyed our fun physical development sessions in different areas of the school, including the Jack’s playground for a bikes session, the MILE room for our massage story and the studio for are visual skill development sessions.
We look forward to our new topic of ‘Winter Wonderland’ after half term.
At Kingfisher we use Signalong as a part of a Total Communication Approach, we are constantly using core vocabulary with the children to support their language development and then through each of our topics we introduce new signs and language, which extends their vocabulary further. We also have two “Signs of the Week” which helps maintain and extend key knowledge and skills of everyday vocabulary.
Each half term we will be creating a short video showcasing and demonstrating signs relavent for the current term so that you can learn the signs and further this learning at home.
Click play to watch this half terms Signalong video!
If your child has a school dinner, the school menus can be accessed by clicking here. For children who bring a packed lunch, please remember to provide healthy and balanced options. We are a Healthy School and will be focusing on healthy eating and how children can make healthy lifestyle choices.
How You Can Help at Home
The following activities are suggested as appropriate homework activities which you can enjoy with your child and reinforce the learning we are focussing on this half term –
- Explore in nature! Take your child outdoors to explore leaves, grass, and soil. Do they reach out to touch materials with their hands? How does your child respond to the outdoors? Do they respond to the sound of birds and the wind in the trees.
- Play ‘ready, steady’ games using bubbles. Blow bubbles near your child and then pause. Repeat this several times starting with Ready .. steady. How do they respond? Do they show anticipation? Can the track the bubbles falling?
- Find a large bag and put child friendly items from your house into the bag, including toys. Take two random items out of the bag at a time and allow your child to make their choice on which item they prefer to explore. Can they choose by reaching out for the item? Are they making their choice by gazing at the item?
- In a large tray bowl mix together 1 part water and 1.5 to 2 parts corn-starch, stir the mixture until it has a gooey consistency. You can use your hands for this. Allow your child to explore in a large tray. Look to see if they can use their hands to make marks? Do they reach out if you pour it from above?
- Use Intensive Interaction with your child– copy the sounds, movements and actions that your child makes and watch and wait to see how they respond when you mirror what they are doing.
- Watch the Signalong videos on our school website with your child- https://www.kingfisher.oldham.sch.uk/signalong