Welcome to the Robins Class!
Teacher: Amina Munsaf
TAs: Alison Mottershead and Kassie Campbell
Mid Day Leader: Carol Gordon
Earth, Wind and Fire
The Robins have loved lots of exciting learning opportunities throughout this half terms topic of ‘Earth, Wind and Fire’.
In our communication session we enjoyed listening to the story ‘In all Kinds of Seasons’ whilst exploring all the different elements of the story including the chocolate powder for hot chocolate, to give us the warm and cosy feel. Our favorite part of the session was where we wrapped up in hats and blankets and looked ourselves in the mirror.
In sensory food play we used all our senses to explore the different foods relating different special days throughout this half term and relating to our topic ‘Earth, Wind and Fire’. This included smelling, touching, tasting and looking. We enjoyed exploring pancakes with toppings for pancakes day. Most of all we loved exploring chocolate with shredded wheat for Easter themed week.
We developed our communication skills while joining in with different activities such as ‘what’s in the box’ ‘I’ve got something in my bucket’. We especially enjoyed the parachute activity with lots of excellent looking, listening and asking for more.
We have thoroughly enjoyed our fun physical development sessions in different areas of the school, including the studio for our Jabadao session, the hall for parachute games with and the mile room for our massage story. Most of all we have loved Boccia sessions, where we played in two teams to compete against each other.
We have been building our confidence in using technology whist using various different switch toys, the plasma screen and the iPad. We have learnt about cause and effect and how we can repeatedly make something happen by our actions. We have loved using the switch to turn on the fan, light, hairdryer and blender.
We look forward to our new topic of ‘Somewhere over the Rainbow’ after half term.
At Kingfisher we use Signalong as a part of a Total Communication Approach, we are constantly using core vocabulary with the children to support their language development and then through each of our topics we introduce new signs and language, which extends their vocabulary further. We also have two “Signs of the Week” which helps maintain and extend key knowledge and skills of everyday vocabulary.
Each half term we will be creating a short video showcasing and demonstrating signs relavent for the current term so that you can learn the signs and further this learning at home.
Click play to watch this half terms Signalong video!
If your child has a school dinner, the school menus can be accessed by clicking here. For children who bring a packed lunch, please remember to provide healthy and balanced options. We are a Healthy School and will be focusing on healthy eating and how children can make healthy lifestyle choices.
How You Can Help at Home
The following activities are suggested as appropriate homework activities which you can enjoy with your child and reinforce the learning we are focussing on this half term –
- Sing your child’s favourite song with them and look for any responses they make. Do they smile or stay still? Can they ask for ‘more’ using their preferred method of communication?
- In a large tray bowl mix together 1 part water and 1.5 to 2 parts corn-starch, stir the mixture until it has a gooey consistency. You can use your hands for this. Allow your child to explore in a large tray. Look to see if they can use their hands to make marks? Do they reach out if you pour it from above?
- Find a large bag and put child friendly items from your house into the bag, including toys. Take two random items out of the bag at a time and allow your child to make their choice on which item they prefer to explore. Can they choose by reaching out for the item? Are they making their choice by gazing at the item?
- Use Intensive Interaction with your child– copy the sounds, movements and actions that your child makes and watch and wait to see how they respond when you mirror what they are doing.
- Watch the Signalong videos on our school website with your child- https://www.kingfisher.oldham.sch.uk/total-communication