Welcome to the Swans Class!
Teacher: Said Zaheer
TAs: Helen Thomas and Jabulie Mazibuko
Mid Day Leader: Hayley Clayton
Inside / Outside
The Swans have enjoyed this term, exploring the topic “Inside and outside”. We have immensely enjoyed our visual development sessions, where we have been exploring range of visual resources, accessing Eye gaze, iPads and big Bang apps, to allow children to develop their visual muscles. The children have been laughing and vocalising suggesting that they have really enjoyed the session. We have been exploring various props in relation to our sensory story, “We are going on a bear hunt” which the children have really enjoyed. They have been anticipating various stimulus in our communication games. It has been a joy to see them being happy and settled.
The Swans have also enjoyed playing parachute games, they love being under the parachute and looking at the lights, projected on the parachute. We have also been listening to a range of holistic stories, which encompassed various massage strokes, which the children really enjoyed. They have really enjoyed the story “countdown to Christmas” having a lot of giggles. We have explored lots of different resources and really enjoyed getting messy, within our Move and Mark session. The purpose of this session is to develop their pre-writing skills, where they have been exploring various types of wet and dry stimuli. They have enjoyed making marks in these sessions. The children have had opportunities to use all their senses when accessing learning, to ensure they get a multisensory experience in each of the sessions.
The Swans have been working hard developing their physical skills this term. This has involved weekly Jabadao sessions and physical development session in the classroom/studio, which we all love! We have loved our music lessons and have really engaged with lots of different instruments. We have enjoyed listening to professional musician, playing various musical instruments.
The Swans have had a lovely term.
At Kingfisher we use Signalong as a part of a Total Communication Approach, we are constantly using core vocabulary with the children to support their language development and then through each of our topics we introduce new signs and language, which extends their vocabulary further. We also have two “Signs of the Week” which helps maintain and extend key knowledge and skills of everyday vocabulary.
Each half term we will be creating a short video showcasing and demonstrating signs relavent for the current term so that you can learn the signs and further this learning at home.
Click play to watch this half terms Signalong video!
How You Can Help at Home
The following activities are just a guide to help reinforce the learning taking place this term and to strengthen the skills that are being developed.
- Explore sensory materials together, which are associated with the topic “Earth, wind and fire”. When exploring the materials encourage your child to look down at what they are feeling, smelling and tasting.
- Encourage your child to follow objects in different directions. Do this at a slow and steady pace for your child.
- Play with toys and tactile materials that encourage grip – holding on and squeezing.
- Encourage your child to push and pull objects.
- Play cause and effect games with your child or allow them to independently play with cause and effect toys.
- Encourage your child to use their voice in response to yours.
- Listen and interact with music and instruments, encourage them to play instruments independently.
- Explore more objects in lots of contexts with your child.
- Share books related to our topic, touchy feely books and books with sounds are great.
- Take them to the park, sand pit or swimming pool.
- Allow them to explore root vegetables in their full form and then in their pureed cooked form.
Hope you have fun. Do share photos of the learning taking place at home.